Thursday, July 4, 2013

4359 Miles to Seattle

The distance from John o' Groats where my journey north came to a close, and ended a day of the best riding I have experience in my life.  The Scottish Highlands handed me lochs, mountains, moors and rivers leading to the beautiful seaside roads past Inverness.  Little towns centered around their churches and ancient cemeteries and the increasing number of whisky distilleries, I had a permanent grin on my face.

The weather was sunny, and the roads were twisty. The Tiger was the perfect bike for this adventure. It even allowed me to take a dirt road through sheep grazing pasture out to a small loch hidden in the hills. 

As I continued on I found a playmate in a car that was having equal fun in the curves. There seem to be a great number of people in the UK that really know how to enjoy their wonderful roads.  Sadly, even though the ride was amazing, my camera malfunctioned half way through and I was unable to capture the best of what the roads delivered. 

Making the finish at John o' Groats was fantastic!  A real sense of accomplishment and a great photo opportunity  to boot. I met a few other riders there that were just starting their journey in the opposite direction and was able to wish them luck as they congratulated me on making it so quickly. 

The Highlands are seeing a large influx of American and Canadian visitors right now as this is the 200th anniversary off The Clearings. This is a darker time in Scottish history when the rich set a decree to remove the poor from the inner highlands so they might clear the land and make room for grazing pastures. This may have gone over decently well if it was handled by robbing the Highlanders of their belongings and burning them out of the houses. Many attempted to move toward the coast and tried to learn to fish, but many others left Scotland for America and Canada.  Now 200 years later their ancestors are returning to their ancestral homesteads to see first hand what their families were forced to leave behind. 

There is an amazing sense of history everywhere you go in this country, and I have a sense I am really going to enjoy discovering more about it.  Here is today's video http://youtube.com/watch?v=XMV21QJDaf8



No comments:

Post a Comment