Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Wishing I had Seattle weather?

Day two is almost done and thankfully the ride is over. Nine hours in the saddle today (6 1/2 of those hours featured a light rain to outright down pour) covering about 600 miles. If anyone needs light weight rain gear, Triumph's two piece set is worth every penny, as are their Goretex gloves and the waterproof Alpinestars Joey shoes.  Glad I brought all the rain gear but 90+ degrees at home and I'm missing it?

I left Parrenporth at 8:00am taking B roads as long as possible since the majority of today's miles will be on the motorway. The area reminds me a lot of the Oregon coast. Sand beaches and rocky cliffs topped with rolling hills covered in tall grasses.

The motorway for the first 3 hours was like driving to Portland from Seattle. Nothing particularly note worthy. Not ugly by any means but no wow factor either to the point where I didn't bother mounting let alone turn on the GoPro to record any of it.  Though looking back I'm sure the constant rain had some effect on my enthusiasm.

That all changed the minute the signs started mentioning "The Lakes." Referring to what has to be one of the most beautiful landscapes you could ever have the fortune to encounter, I immediately pulled to the side of the road, mounted the camera and started filming. Absolutely breath taking and I even had a short break in the incessant rain to enjoy it.  Anyone visiting the UK needs to make time for the Lakes District.

As I neared the end of the lakes I started getting tired until I saw the first sign telling me I was approaching Scotland. It woke me right up. I have dreamed about visiting this place and never imaged that my first glimpse would be on board a motorcycle let alone a Triumph.  Dispuie the cold and rain,this kind of riding reminds me of why I fell in love with motorcycles (and scooters of course) in the first place.   I can't wait to explore more starting tomorrow with the trek to John o' Groats which should provide a nice change of pace in that much of it will be B roads twisting through the highlands. Who knows, maybe I will find some trails and dirt roads to put the Tiger through its paces?  I'll do my best at least to catch a glimpse of Nessy as I ride along the length of Loch Ness.

For now, here is today's video!  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsd-GLDfcvE

No comments:

Post a Comment