Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Sample of England's Best

During my time riding the Tiger while on this amazing trip in the UK I had a specific goal, to make it from Land's End to John o' Groats. Not an overly strenuous task on its own, but coupled with a packed schedule and only two days to complete it, it was a whirl wind tour. The schedule caused me to be forced on to motorways and dual carriage ways more often than I would have liked and it was not until I visited the roads outside of Keswick in the northern section of the Lakes National Park did I realize exactly what I missed.

Possibly one of the most amazing roads I have ever been on in terms of dramatic scenery, the Honister Pass loop just outside of Keswick is mind blowing. This one isn't just for adventure bikes either as the single track B road is paved all the way to the top at the Honister slate mine, and around the other side looping back into Keswick from the east. 

The road gives you a bit of everything from lush fern covered mountains, small lakes, winding rivers and water falls. Not to mention loads and loads of curving twisted turns cutting through the mountains. 
Should you plan a trip to England and are lucky enough to have access to a bike, this road must be on your itinerary. Even without a bike, it is well worth your time. Pack a picnic lunch and make an afternoon out of it. With almost no traffic and a ton of pull outs available, chances are the only ones you'll share your view with are the sheep, and of course they were there first. 



No comments:

Post a Comment