Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Motorcyclist's Perspective of Riding a Scooter For The First Time



Ask any motorcyclist if they have ever considered a scooter and a majority will give an answer of something along the lines of how they would be a disgrace to their ego. Ask a scooter rider why they decided against a motorcycle and they will most likely tell you their social life has never been more prominent.
Being a motorcyclist for all my life I had never ridden a scooter before but always secretly wondered what it would be like. I am here to tell you, in a motorcyclist’s perspective, what a scooter is really like to ride and how it may actually be something that is not just solely based around being economical as possible.  
The scooter I had the chance to ride was a 2013 Vespa LX150, a fuel injected 4 stroke that gets 70-75mpg , can be ridden by anybody and is very affordable.
The biggest difference to get used to was the absence of a clutch. The bar still has levers on both sides, but the left control operates the rear brake instead. Starting requires holding one of the levers in while pressing the button and the little four stroke immediately comes to life without any fuss. To move, simply roll into into the throttle and a moment later, after the revs build up to a certain rpm, the sensation of a clutch being let out begins and away you go. I will admit, this procedure took a bit to get used to at first but after a few stop lights you easily get the hang of it and it becomes second nature. Coasting had a different sensation as well because letting off the gas at cruising speed would yield a neutral type feeling but as you began slowing down, engine braking became noticeable.
One of the most common things a motorcyclist thinks of when it comes to a scooter is passing one who’s on the shoulder of a hill. Contrary to the belief, this was not the case at all in fact with the Vespa 150. I actually found myself checking my speed to make sure I wasn’t speeding! No, you’re not going to be winning any races but the power for the type of riding that it was intended for, an urban environment, works wonderfully.
In terms of enjoyment and fun, the old statement of riding a slow bike fast vs. a fast bike slow proves more true than ever with a scooter.  The 11/10” wheel combination provides for some ridiculous side to side flickability, more than I had never felt before on any motorcycle no matter the size or the cc. It was like riding an oversized pitbike on the streets in terms of agility. I found myself giggling inside my helmet like I had just got my license while carving up a favorite backroad…all the while keeping my license safe!
I challenge you to take a scooter for a test ride. If you are a motorcyclist like me who once had the initial impression that scooters are built for one purpose only, you will be surprised to find they not only combine efficiency but secretly have a huge fun factor built in as well and that’s what riding is really all about, isn’t it?



No comments:

Post a Comment